Thursday, September 27, 2018

Try this Tip for Stretching Your Craft Supplies!

I have several packs of doilies in my craft stash.  They're all a little different in size & shape, but they're pretty much all white.  There are some lovely colored doilies in the Stampin' Up annual catalog, but they are only offered in 4 colors.  I experimented a bit with my sponge brayers and discovered that I can make any color doily I need!


For this card, I took a white lace doily and applied Smoky Slate ink with my sponge brayer.  Then I used Frost White Shimmer Paint on a sponge dauber to give it this beautiful shimmer.  It totally mimics the Galvanized Paper in the holiday catalog!


Here are some other examples of doilies that you can color:


The large one on the left was colored with Pool Party.  Because this doily is a thinner, more traditional type of doily, it didn't absorb the color as evenly as the other two.  The one on the bottom right was colored with Crushed Curry - this doily works perfectly with this technique.  The one on the top right is a metallic foil doily colored on the back (white) side with Flirty Flamingo.


The metallic foil doily colored even nicer than I expected - the paper has a shimmery quality to it!

I hope you like this tip!  Supplies shown are to create the card at the top of this post.


Product List




1 comment: