Monday, August 20, 2018

Dusting Off My Rose Garden Thinlits

As a general rule, I don't share projects on my blog that use retired products.  Mainly because who wants to get excited about a card only to find out that the materials to create it aren't available?

But this time I'm breaking my own rule, because I was so pleased with how this turned out that I want to share it with you.  Also, a great many crafters already own Rose Wonder and the matching thinlits - hopefully if you're reading this, you're one of them!


Whenever I need to craft a Sympathy card, this is the first set I reach for.


I had several watercolored backgrounds left over from a previous project that I wanted to find a use for and this was perfect.  This card takes a little time to complete, but the results are oh, so worth it!


Begin by die-cutting a rose from a piece of 4" x 5-1/4" Very Vanilla cardstock (1).  Remove the center (save) and on the back, apply liquid glue around the edges of the die-cut.  Use Snail tape runner along the edges of the cardstock where there is enough room (2).  Adhere the entire piece to the front of your card, using any color cardstock that complements your watercoloring (3).


Position the die-cut on your (previously) watercolored cardstock and cut it (1).  Use the Stampin' Up Die Brush to remove the inside pieces from the rose (2 & 3).  You may have a few pieces that stay inside the die-cut but you can easily remove them later.


Adhere the outline of the rose that you first cut from the Very Vanilla cardstock.  I use a spray adhesive for this step - 3M makes a good one.  Starting with the largest sections, apply liquid glue as shown here (1).  Start adding the watercolored pieces, working your way around the outside (larger pieces) first toward the center.  Use your silicone mat to press the pieces firmly in place as you go-if any glue squeezes out it will go on the mat instead of your fingers (3).  You can easily clean it off the mat after it dries.


Continue working around the rose until all the pieces have been glued in place.  I had another piece of watercolor in greens that I used to fill in the leaves.  The outline of the watercolored rose can be used to make another card!  Here are just some of the cards that I put together:



Tools that are essential for this project - click on the links to purchase
In addition to these, there are two more tools that I highly recommend for this project.  One is Spray Adhesive for paper products, the other is a tool to pick up small pieces.  I have a QuickStik that I use, but I can share with you that Stampin' Up has added their own version of it to the Holiday Catalog debuting on September 1.  It's called the Take Your Pick multipurpose tool - Woohoo!!

Thanks for stopping by,

Pat

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I do a lot of cards using my watercolor paper. Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow these look terrific, I don't mind seeing old retired stuff because I usually have something like it or can find something close :)

    ReplyDelete