Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Feelin' Beachy

I'm heading to south Florida this week to visit family, and it's got me dreaming of a day at the beach!  

Wouldn't you love to be there?  I created this card using watercolor techniques I learned from my very talented friend, Margot Snow.  The design was inspired by a card created by Heejung Hunsberger.  I'm playing along with TGIF Challenges this week - #tgifc382 "Beaches".  How perfect!


I started with a piece of watercolor paper, 4-1/4" x 5-1/2".  I lightly penciled a line at the halfway point to mark where the sand would be, then penciled another line to mark where the sky meets the ocean.  I watercolored one section at a time; Soft Suede for the sand, Bermuda Bay for the water and Pacific Point for the sky.  

I used a brush with plain water to wet each section before adding color.  A paper plate with a single drop from a reinker thinned with water is all that's needed to get these beautiful colors.  I started with the sand, then the sky (leaving some areas white for clouds).  I let these dry before adding the water in the center.  The dots & stars (from the July 2022 Paper Pumpkin kit) are stamped in Crumb Cake.

The cocktails are from the Nothing's Better Than stamp set & dies.  To achieve the two-tone look on the beverage stamp, ink the stamp first in Daffodil Delight then add some Poppy Parade with a sponge dauber.  The limes and umbrellas are colored with Stampin' Blends.  The ocean foam washing up on the beach is embossing paste applied with a palette knife!    This particular embossing paste is Glitz Glitter Gel from Gina K.  I don't like it quite as well as Stampin' Up's Shimmery White, but it works while I wait for my order to arrive!

Would you like to make your own beachy card?  These are the products I used - click on any image to shop!





1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic! I especially like the 3D ocean foam. The only thing missing is us at the beach with these yummy looking drinks. LOL.

    ReplyDelete